EXP1616 Installation Guide
2. EXP1616R Expansion Board Installation Guide 2 CAUTION: DO NOT install the EXP1616R with the m echanical relays in the vertical position as shown in the following two diagrams. Figure 2 - Incorrect Relay Position The manufacturer of the mechanical relays currently used on the EXP1616R (part # JQ1a-24V-F) is now specifying that the relay not be installed in the vertical position or it could fail to actuate on occasion, typically after many previous switches. However, the results may vary and it should be assumed that the relay can potentially fail at any time when installed in th e specified vertical position. According to the relay manufacturers revise d documentation: "When installing with the relay terminals parallel to the ground, the contact terminals at the bottom and the coil terminals at the top, component friction will occur after numerous switching actions or due to vibration in the non-excita tion state. Since this may cause the relay to stop functioning when the pick-up voltag e increases even if the nominal voltage is applied, please do not install using this orie ntation." This is demonstrated in Figure 2 above. On the EXP1616R, the relays will be orientated this way when the PLC is installed in the following position demonstrated in figure 3. This position should be avoided when the relays are being used.
3. EXP1616R Expansion Board Installation Guide 3 Figure 3 - Incorrect EXP1616R Orientation The supplied ribbon cable is meant for si de by side mounting of the expansion board. If you wish to stack the EXP1616R on top or below the FMD or F-Series PLC, you will need to make or purchase a longer expansion ribbon cable (approximately 8 inches long) in order to connect the PLC to the expansion board. To build a custom cable, the type of cable th at you want to find is an IDC terminated 10-pin ribbon cable with 100 mil (0.1") connect or pitch. The center bump is the key, which is standard and should be center orientated. However, please check both ends of the cable to ensure you have th e key placed on the correct side of the connector so that it fits in the groove of the sockets on the PLC/Expansion Board. Also note the position of the red line on the ribbon cable, which indicates pin #1. This type of cable and connector can ty pically be found from most electronic component suppliers such as DigiKey and Mouser. Digital I/O Ports : Detachable screw terminals are pr ovided for quick connection to all digital inputs, outputs and power supply wires. Each block of screw terminals can easily be detached from the controller body, enabling easy replacement of the controller board when necessary. Since the ter minal block for digital I/Os is inserted vertically to the board surface, you need to remove the terminal block before you can start wiring. Use a small flat-head screw- driver and insert underneath the terminal block, apply even pressure to raise the ter minal block until it becomes loosened from the connecting-pin strip, as shown below:
4. EXP1616R Expansion Board Installation Guide 4 Insulated crimp ferrules screw Tightening Connectin g -pin strip Flat-head screw driver Figure 4 - Removing Screw Terminal block Although you can connect a single or multi st rand wire directly to the screw terminal, we strongly recommend using the insulated crimp ferrules to provide a good end termination to multi-stranded wires. Using ferrules reduces the possibility of stray wire- strands short-circuiting adjacent termin als and their use is therefore highly recommended. 3. Power Supply The EXP1616R requires a 24VDC power source to operate properly. The power supply can be the same as the PLC if the PLC is also using 24V. However, If the PLC is operating at a lower voltage (e.g. 12VDC), then you need to use a separate +24V DC power source for the EXP1616R. The +24VDC should be connect ed to the power supply screw terminals along the left edge of the EXP1616R as shown in Figure 1. The expansion board may still work even if you don’t wire the external power to the power supply screw terminals. This is because it can also draw the +24V powe r from the PLC via the ribbon cable and through an onboard diode. However, we strongly recommend wiring up the power supply terminals to reduce chances of high current induced spikes from interfering with the expansion board I/O signals. Note: The power supply voltage to the EXP1616R cannot be lower than the power supply voltage to the PLC, otherwise it could cause a high current to flow through the diode that links the PLC’s power source to the MD-EXP1616R and blow up the diode. Please use only industrial grade linear or switching regulated power supply from established manufacturers for best result s. Using a poorly made switching power supply can give rise to a lot of problems for the PLC. Always place the power supply as near to the PLC and the expansion board as possible and use separate wires to connect the power to I/Os. Keep the power supply wire as short as possible and avoid running it along side high current cable in the same cable conduit.
1. EXP1616R Digital I/O Expansion Board 1 16 Digital Inputs 9-24V AC 50/60Hz 9-24V DC PNP/NPN Secondary Expansion c o nn e ct o r Voltage free Relay Outputs 5A @30VDC or 125VAC 2A @250VAC 24V or PLC’s Power Supply +24V 0V IDC Ribbon Cable Relay1 Relay2 Relay3 Relay4 Relay5 Relay6 Relay7 Relay8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Relay9 Relay10 Relay11 Relay12 Relay13 Relay14 Relay15 Relay16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Figure 1 - 32 I/O Expansion board for FMD and F-Series PLCs 1. Introduction The EXP1616R is an expansion board specifica lly designed for the FMD and F-Series PLCs. It adds additional 16 opto-isolated digital inputs and 16 relay outputs to any of these PLCs. The EXP1616R+ also has a secon dary expansion connector on the right side of the PCB, which allows multiple ex pansion boards or a HMI to be connected. A FMD or F-Series PLC can therefore be expan ded to a total I/O of 128 digital inputs and 128 digital outputs. The EXP1616R is identical in size to the FM D1616-10 PLC. This allows one or more of the expansion board(s) to be “stacked” on top or below a FMD1616-10 PLC for applications where the controllers must be fitted within a very tight space. 2. Physical Mounting & Wiring The EXP1616R requires 4 PCB standoffs (or some screws and nuts) to support the board. It is usually mounted side-by-side to the right of the FMD or F-Series PLC. You must plug the supplied ribbon cable to th e PLC’s expansion connector located along the right edge of the PLC.
6. EXP1616R Expansion Board Installation Guide 6 5. Relay Output Circuits Each EXP1616R features 16 normally-open, vo ltage-free relay outputs. Every 8 outputs share a common terminal (“COM”). Each outp ut has an LED indicator adjacent to its terminal that lights up when the output is turned ON. Relay Outputs Electrical Specifications: Current Ratings @30V DC : 5A (Electrical life = 2 x 10 5 cycles) (resistive load) @125V AC : 5A (Electrical life = 2 x 10 5 cycles) @250V AC : 2A (Electrical life = 2 x 10 5 cycles) Maximum total current : 10A (per block of 8 outputs) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Load Power AC or DC EXP1616R Out p uts LOAD LOAD LOAD LOAD LOAD LOAD LOAD LOAD COM Rela y 1 Rela y 2 Rela y 3 Rela y 4 Rela y 5 Rela y 6 Rela y 7 Rela y 8 Figure 6 - Relay Output interfacing to load Diode's reverse break down voltage should be at least 2 x load voltage +24V A C Power (b) (a) Varistor or Transorb (c) Inductive bypass diode (DC only) Varistor or Transorb A C Power Figure 7 - (a) Inductive snubber circuit - DC load only. (b), (c) Inductive snubber circuit - AC/DC load. Note: When switching inductive load, always ensure that either a varistor or bypass diode is connected to absorb inductive ki ck that occurs when the relay contact opens. If left unchecked, the inductive kick causes an electric arc to form across the contact, which will wear out the contact ma terial and severely shorten the contact life of the relay.
5. EXP1616R Expansion Board Installation Guide 5 4. Digital Input Circuits When connected to a FMD88-10, FMD1616-10, or F1616-BA PLC, the first 16 expanded inputs should occupy Inputs #17 to #32. These are all bi- directional opto-isolated that accepts the following industrial voltages: a) 9-24V AC 50/60 Hz b) 9-24V DC NPN c) 9-24V DC PNP Their respective wiring methods are illustrated in Figure 5(a),(b) & (c) (a) (b) (c) Figure 5 - EXP1616R Input Wirings All these inputs have green color LED indica tors. Every 8 inputs are grouped together into a single strip of detachable screw terminal and share a single common terminal (marked as “COM”). The input numbers are marked on their screw terminals. ( Note : when used with the F2424+ PLC, thes e inputs occupy #25 to 40, and when used as a second expansion board to anot her expansion board, these inputs will begin from the number right after the last input number of the first expansion board. Please use the supplied labels for non-default I/O numbering). COM Other Inputs DC 9 to 24V Power Supply + 0V EXP1616R for sensor NPN Sensor Output Input Terminal COM Other Inputs DC 9 to 24V Power Supply + 0V EXP1616R for sensor Input Terminal COM Other Inputs 9-24V AC 50/60Hz EXP1616R Input Terminal PNP Sensor Output
- 1811 Total Views
- 1345 Website Views
- 466 Embedded Views
- Social Shares
- 0 Likes
- 0 Dislikes
- 0 Comments
- 0 Facebook
- 0 Twitter
- 0 Google+
- 6 dcitech.odoo.com
- 23 www.dcitech.com
- 1 dcitech.com
CradlePoint IBR650 Manual10274 Views .
airOS 7 User Manual7927 Views .
Viper SC User Manual7898 Views .
CradlePoint MBR1400 Manual7044 Views .
EZwarePlus Programming Manual7032 Views .
i-TRiLOGI Tutorial - Getting Started6186 Views .
Integra-TR Quickstart Guide6068 Views .
Cradlepoint AER1600 User Manual5920 Views .
Nano-10 User Manual5611 Views .
Cradlepoint AER1600 Quick Start Guide5539 Views .
ASCII Character Table5432 Views .
Sure Call Fusion5 User Guide5102 Views .
EZWare-5000 Programming Manual5096 Views .
Aprisa SR+ Datasheet4988 Views .
Phantom II Manual4952 Views .
Aprisa SR+ Migration Master Station Datasheet4930 Views .
i-TRiLOGI Programmer Reference Manual4860 Views .
Fx1616 User Manual4815 Views .
EZwire1616 User Manual4521 Views .
i-TRiLOGI Help Manual4440 Views .